Saturday, January 18, 2014

A product of Free Writing


Day 3 of my writing challenge. Prompt - Learn to Free Write


What is Free Writing? 


Free writing is a prewriting technique in which a person writes continuously for a set period of time without regard to spelling, grammar, or topic. It produces raw, often unusable material, but helps writers overcome blocks of apathy and self-criticism. It is used mainly by prose writers and writing teachers.  Some writers use the technique to collect initial thoughts and ideas on a topic, often as a preliminary to formal writing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_writing)

A product of Free Writing

Back in October I just decided to write for Writehere.com. I didn’t think of anything , all I want is to write.

The first topic I have written was “The Power of BeingFinancially Stable” I was not an expert in financial matters I just thought it is a very important aspect  to have a better life. So I wrote it without thinking of any criticisms I will get from people who will read it.

When I write, I don’t just write I felt I needed to edit but I guess today I will follow the prompt of the day although I can’t help myself but erase, edit, but this time I guess I need to let go.

Today I wanted to do some editing with the first 3 topics I’ve written for the past 3 days. My plan is to publish it today but I am scheduled to work on my regular job this afternoon so I will probably do it later  if I am not too tired.

As usual, I woke up early for my daughter but she has a headache so she didn’t go to school.  I went back to bed to hopefully get enough sleep since I went last night at past 12midnight and woke up this morning at 6:30am.  Unfortunately, my mind was already busy with what I want to do so I just went downstairs after uttering a prayer.

The first thing I did was to drink my warm lemon water and 3 glasses of water. I have been doing this for 2 years now, it became a habit and a morning routine. It has good benefits like cleansing the body system and also helps in losing weight, the only disadvantage is that I need to go to the toilet more often.

Then I connect the laptop to the television to do the day 4 of my weight loss challenge. It was a kickboxing for more than 30 minutes and I tell you it was one heck of a workout.

I have been trying to lose weight since November 2012 and tried a few weight loss programs which benefited me as I lost 10 kilos since then.

I joined the challenge to test myself if I can do it  and just like this writing challenge, I am happy that so far I’ve been doing the 2 challenges  without fail.

Since I started writing in October last year I removed all the feelings of fear. I let go of any doubt. I know that I will be opening up myself to the public and hopefully my writings will be well read and accepted.  

So far I have published 8 topics, the first one was mentioned above.

The second one was “The Joy and Pain of Being a mother” which is a story of my dearest mother and what she went through likewise what I and a lot of people can learn from loss of a love one. 

Then the 3rd  and 4th blog was a 2 part story titled “Some good things never really last” which was about a very dear friend who genuinely loved and lost and how she overcame it.

The 4th one was “Praying unceasingly in the Midst of Crisis” which I wrote when Haiyan storm hit the Philippines. 

The 6th  7th and 8th  was a trilogy of  Is there life after teaching” which is basically  about my life as a nurse educator and what I have learned from it. 

All of the above was written within 3 months, not bad but not that good either, I should have written more. The only consolation I tell myself is that I was able to start writing which is one of the most important things I want to build and get better at.

Now that I’ve decided to join this challenge “My 500 words” I promised to finish and produce a topic every day for 31 days with 500 words or more. 

Would you like to try free writing?  I encourage you to do it.  It will open up new opportunities that you once thought you are not capable of doing. You will be thankful you did.